CollabNet Subversion Edge not working on PVE 2.1: a Java issue?

loucypher

Jun 11, 2012
I had a previous installation of PVE 1.8, of an OpenVZ container with the base Debian 6, running a CollabNet Subversion Edge server.
To perform an update to PVE 2.1 I backed up the container on an NFS resource, and everything went fine on restore. I restarted then the SVN Edge console (a Java web console), and I found myself with a frozen java process, no more responding. Logs weren't useful, they showed nothing interesting happening, as it was confirmed on a discussion on SVN Edge help forum -- see http://subversion.open.collab.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=3&dsMessageId=459184

I tried switching from Debian to Centos 5.6, but the behavior was exactly the same, no action, no messages.

Then I tried installing a base Debian 6 in a KVM virtual machine, instead of an OpenVZ container. Everything started working flawlessly!
Now, the only thing I can think of is some issue about the interaction between Java and OpenVZ...
The only two requirements for SVN Edge are python and java (see http://www.collab.net/lightbox/download_info/60/31), and for Debian I installed packages python2.6 and sun-java6-jre (from the non-free repository), plus adding an environment variable JAVA_HOME -- SVN Edge distribution tgz can be uncompressed in a directory and simply launched.

Anyone can confirm similar Java related issues?
I don't ask for a workaround, since I don't feel so confident that there already is one :)

~Lou

[EDIT]
I tried to install and run an alternative application to Subversion Edge, named "uberSVN" (http://www.ubersvn.com/).
Unfortunately the result is the same, since this alternative runs with Java as well: I have the Java machine dead again.
This makes me think I won't ever run any Java based server on this microserver, if it's managed by PVE 2.1 ... :(

[EDIT]
I eventually had to downgrade to PVE 1.9, the latest that does run Java properly: with 2.1 I couldn't run anything with Java, in an OpenVZ container!

Last edited:
How many CPUs did you assign to the container? Try with 2 or more.

I used up to 2 CPUs (don't have more, the server has an AMD Neo N36L, dual core, 1.3 GHz) and up to 2 GiB RAM. Looks like Java eats up any advantage of having a sleek OS...
I start having the bad feeling I'll have to drop PVE 2.1, or SVN Edge, or both.

Note however that server load has never shown to exceed 10%, even with a single CPU

Last edited:
I used up to 2 CPUs (don't have more, the server has an AMD Neo N36L, dual core, 1.3 GHz) and up to 2 GiB RAM. Looks like Java eats up any advantage of having a sleek OS...
I start having the bad feeling I'll have to drop PVE 2.1, or SVN Edge, or both.

Note however that server load has never shown to exceed 10%, even with a single CPU
Hi,
how many swap are assigned to the CT? Does more swap (1-2G) helps?

Udo

how many swap are assigned to the CT? Does more swap (1-2G) helps?

Swap is 2 GiB, but has no effect, since the system never uses that.

Using KVM, I have a running system, with 1 CPU, 1.2 GiB RAM and 2 GiB swap space (still not used): only with an OpenVZ container the application can't run (even with 2 CPU and 2 GiB RAM); with PVE 1.8 the OpenVZ container was running on the same machine, and same configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!