Coalesce disks

Alessandro 123

May 22, 2016
Ciao,
this is the situation: multiple VMs migrated from XenServer to PVE, each one with their original disks (i've done an automated migration script that will move virtual disks from XS to PVE).

Almost all of these server has multiple disks connected with A LOT of wasted space. In example: 150GB used space but 400GB disk images.

After moving to PVE and ZFS with qemu, do you know a way to coalesce these dissk images ?
All VMs have LVM on it.

how are the VM disks stored? If you enable "discard" in the disk options, the trim/discard command from the VM will be issued to the underlying storage layer and if it supports it, the unused space will be "reclaimed". The storage needs to be thin provisioned and be able to support trim. E.g. Ceph RBD, ZFS (thin provisioned), thin LVM, ...

It' s a standard ZFS install made with the proxmox installer. I don't think it's thin provisoned by default

But one of the biggest issue is how to "merge" multiple disks in a bigger one. Some of my old VMs are made of 7-8 "small" 20-25GB disks, I would like to move on PVE with just one bigger disks, if possible

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!