cLVM

To dynamically create DRBD volumes we would need to use DRBD on top of LVM.
If I also wanted snapshot backups of the VM on DRBD we would then need to snapshot the LVM under DRBD which is not how vzdump/qmrestore is designed to work.
LVM snapshots still work, they are just a bit different than how these tools expect right now.

To solve the hot-stand by issue I always setup two DRBD volumes, then have half the VMs on node A with DRBD0 and the other half on Node B with DRBD1.
Very simple solution, not confusing or complex, only requires a little bit of planning and makes split-brain recovery simple.
The 2 DRBD volume setup makes it harder to move virtualmachines to the other DRBD volume if one needs that. And you have a harder time using 3+ hosts optimally because to balance the load you might have to move virtualmachines across DRBD volumes.

I do not like the idea of adding additional complexity just to solve a problem that is already easily solved.
Your idea has certainly got me thinking, maybe we do need to think about this more to come up with the best solution.
I do not think you provided the best solution, just a quickfix.

What if one has a multiple hosts setup and wants to move guests to a 2 node setup in times of vacation? weekends? or maybe just nights, to shutdown all but 2 hosts and save power?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!