clusterwide startup order

udotirol

Mar 9, 2018
I'm trying to figure out how to have a cluster wide startup order. Initially I thought, the "Start and Shutdown Order" mentioned in "11.3.6. Automatic Start and Shutdown of Containers" of the PVE Admin guide was the way to go, but it turned out that this "Startup Order" is only taken into consideration for the host a VM runs on, as stated in the admin guide:

Please note that containers without a Start/Shutdown order parameter will always start after those where the parameter is set, and this parameter only makes sense between the machines running locally on a host, and not cluster-wide.

What I am trying to ensure is that some basic VMs like those providing DHCP services and such are always started before other VMs, regardless of the PVE node the VM runs on.

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Hi,

This an important feature request, a cluster wide "start at boot" and "startup / suthdonw order".

Any hope on such a feature?

A global restart of cluster becomes easier and straightforward.

Thanks,

Christophe.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how to have a cluster wide startup order. Initially I thought, the "Start and Shutdown Order" mentioned in "11.3.6. Automatic Start and Shutdown of Containers" of the PVE Admin guide was the way to go, but it turned out that this "Startup Order" is only taken into consideration for the host a VM runs on, as stated in the admin guide:

What I am trying to ensure is that some basic VMs like those providing DHCP services and such are always started before other VMs, regardless of the PVE node the VM runs on.

Any ideas how to achieve this?
In the VM 'Options' you can set 'Start at boot' and also the 'Start/Shutdown order'.

This should do what you need.

Reactions: itNGO
No, in a cluster environment, you can have, on one node, a VM with "start/shutdown order" set to "10" starting BEFORE a VM on another node with a "start/shutdown order" set to "2".

This is NOT what we need.

Christophe.

No, in a cluster environment, you can have, on one node, a VM with "start/shutdown order" set to "10" starting BEFORE a VM on another node with a "start/shutdown order" set to "2".

This is NOT what we need.

Christophe.
Ah, OP didn't explicitly state he had a cluster and I didn't pick up on it (that will teach me to skim read!).

That being said, I have my clusters configured using the aforementioned VM options, my DC's are 1 and 2 in the start order and I've never had an issue.
Of course I don't routinely shut my clusters down, my DC's are on different nodes and also Linux based so they tend to boot really quickly, so it may just be that I've never experienced the issue.

Edit: Just realised that the post is titled 'Clusterwide'!! I really must get more sleep!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!