Clusters nodes fault tolerance

DRVTiny

Feb 5, 2010
I'am using Proxmox on 2-nodes cluster with /dev/pve/data on both nodes glued in one mirror (RAID1) with glusterfs (so "local" storage on both nodes are the same and always in sync). All works as expected, live migration is very fast, thanks for your great product, i am really happy to find it as a usefull and near-comprehensive replacement for VMware ESX!
But now i want to have some HA Cluster benefits with my very robust two-heads virtual environment. So when one of the "heads" is going down it will be nice if all of virtual machines was running on it will appeare on the head that still alive in a "shutdowned" state. So i am understand that on-line synchronisation of VM's memory is impossible, but i still need to be able to restart all VM's which crashed on one head (node), on another head.
I am experienced in shell and perl programming, so if this functionality is not realized soon, i can do it, but for this i need to understand the logic of how Proxmox works better...
For example, who can tell me, how Proxmox node knows what VMs running on the local node and what - on the remote one(s)?

Thanks! :)

Andrey Konovalov,
Russia

Last edited:
but i still need to be able to restart all VM's which crashed on one head (node), on another head.
I am experienced in shell and perl programming, so if this functionality is not realized soon, i can do it, but for this i need to understand the logic of how Proxmox works better...

This is a very simple view of the problem - you also need reliable membership and fencing. But we are working on a HA solution.

hi,

i wanted exactly the same an now i sync the config-files from one node to a backup dir on second node:

node1:
rsync -aP --delete -e ssh /etc/qemu-server/ root@node2:/etc/qemu-server-node1/.

node2:
rsync -aP --delete -e ssh /etc/qemu-server/ root@node1:/etc/qemu-server-node2/.

if node2 crashes:

node1:~# cp /etc/qemu-server-node2/*.conf /etc/qemu-server/

and now i can start the machines via webgui

[UPDATE]
inserted --detele to rsync command
[/UPDATE]

Last edited:
Thanks for your solution, it is excellent and simple. "Everything of Genius Is Simple" :)

DRVTiny, you say
" I'am using Proxmox on 2-nodes cluster with /dev/pve/data on both nodes glued in one mirror (RAID1) with glusterfs (so "local" storage on both nodes are the same and always in sync). All works as expected, live migration is very fast, thanks for your great product, i am really happy to find it as a usefull and near-comprehensive replacement for VMware ESX!"

If it's possible for you, can you share your GlusterFs configuration files ? I'am going to make your configuration whith 2 nodes in master / master.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!