Cluster with 2 node in different datacenter

ohmer

Mar 2, 2010
Hello,

I have 2 proxmox nodes in 2 differents datacenters.

Does it make sense to use the clustering functionality ?

Thanks.

Hello,

I have 2 proxmox nodes in 2 differents datacenters.

Does it make sense to use the clustering functionality ?

Thanks.

the only possible and useful scenario for clustering across different datacenters is when you have a layer2 backend connection between the datacenters and your pve-hosts and vm's are using an pi-space which is announced from different providers on each datacenter;

screenie

you can (should) join them in a virtual tunneled network and cluster them.
this may make sense, if you are well connected.

Will promox even actually let you create a cluster across to different data centres?

Obviously unless you somehow link them over L2TP or some other form of VPN so the IP's can route to the other box it's likely that Migrate wouldn't work but it might still be useful for the ablity to "see" the VM's on the other boxes from a single location (I'm assuming of course that once clustered you can start/stop/view any VM on the cluster)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!