Cluster-Wide Virtual Firewall using SDN

snowturtle

Apr 18, 2024
Hi all, I've been reading up on the PVE docs, reading some articles and watching some YouTube videos on how proxmox's SDN works. This gave me an idea of a setup for my homelab, which I think should work, but I'm not too sure how to configure it in the SDN zones/vnets.

My home network has abysmal DNS for local devices (curse you Google WiFi), out of 50 devices on the network (including my homelab), only 4 devices can actually be found by their hostname / DNS name; this makes it a pain for certificates and Kubernetes because I'd have to bind the certificates and DNS to specific reserved ips.
My idea was to run a virtual firewall (something like *sense or sophos home) on my 4 node pve cluster and have it configured in such a way that any vm/ct on any of the 4 nodes can talk to the virtual firewall and be on it's LANnetwork. I'm just not sure what type of zone(s) I'd need for that.
  • I'd need one that's able to talk to my home LAN to act as my WAN connection
  • I'd need one that's not able to talk to my home LAN to act as my virtual LAN
  • I need it to be cluster-wide, so any of the ct's/vm's can talk to the virtual firewall over the virtual LAN, regardless of which node the ct's/vm's are on and regardless of which node the virtual firewall is on.
Does anyone have any idea's? let me know if I need to provide more information.
I did find this thread which seems to be similar to what I want to do: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vxlan-sense-with-a-cluster.146400/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!