Cluster Setup review/opinions wanted

SwampRabbit

Dec 4, 2015
I believe I am at the point where I am done doing basic testing/"tinkering" Proxmox and I really like it.
All my hardware works well and is fast, clustering works good, PCI-e and USB passthrough is awesome, OVS is working ok.

I basically just want a 3 node cluster for management purposes, each node runs different VMs for specific things. I don't think I really need HA as nothing is critical enough to mess with it, but DRBD9 looks interesting. If a node goes down, I have backups, so the world won't end if I don't implement HA. I am also not interested in using my NAS for shared storage as each node has good hardware.

I wanted to use ZFS for everything, but during my testing it was extremely slow (FSYNCS/SECOND 73.58) compared to using the RAID controllers (FSYNCS/SECOND 1500+). I only have consumer (Samsung 850 Evo) SSDs that I could use for cache and log. Uploading an ISO of Debian 8 sucked up 8GBs of RAM. With having limited RAM, I figured it isn't worth it, as the RAID controllers do a good job. I may or may not test again on one node.

Node1 (LAN VMs):
AMD 8 core CPU
16GB RAM
IBM ServeRAID M5015
- PVE on 2x 500GB (RAID1)
- 6x 1TB (RAID10) 2.7TB
split storage LVM (1.3TB for VM Disks and 1.4TB for Backups)
6x 1GB Intel NIC (presently using 1 for management and 1 for corosync)

Node2 (WAN VMs):
AMD 8 core CPU
32GB RAM
IBM ServeRAID M5015
- VM Disks 6x 500GB (RAID10) 1.3TB

Node3 (Testing VMs):
AMD 8 core CPU
32GB RAM
IBM ServeRAID M5015
- VM Disks 6x 500GB (RAID10) 1.3TB

Node4 (Quorum only):
AMD 2 core CPU
8GB RAM
PVE on 2x 500GB (RAID1)
3x 1GB Intel NIC (presently using 1 for management and 1 for corosync)

FREENAS Server (Physical):
NFS for ISO share
NFS for long term backups

Questions:
- Does setup make sense as a basic cluster scenario? Suggestions, words of wisdom/caution?
- With this setup I assume that I can easily have Node2 and Node3 use the "Backup" storage space on Node1 to perform and store backups?
- Is DRBD9 stable enough to use with this setup, is a bad idea from a performance stand point due to having only 1GB NICs? I may not worry about using DRBD9, just asking for an opinion.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!