Cluster is not happening on 2.2

blason16

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Folks,

I have gone through entire documents and trying to build a cluster of v2.2. But somehow the documentation is not clear and unable to build the cluster. Previous versions were pretty easy and you just had to run the pveca commands. I tried with pvecm but unable to form the cluster.
Does any one have a complete guide on building cluster and manage the virtual machines under HA? I am desperately looking for such document or can provide me the link from where I can download it and go through?

Yep, have tired that already but unable to see the full thread. What I see confusion here is

Add a node:

pvecm add IP-ADDRESS-CLUSTERFor IP-ADDRESS-CLUSTER use an IP from an existing cluster node.

Does that mean I need to specify IP of another host there?
Say in this scenario I have pmx and pmx1 with 192.168.1.89 AND 90 respectively. I run pvecm commands and manage to start the cluster but when I see pvecm status I dont see other host or node.
Also, how do I create fencing device to form a complete cluster and that is why I needed a complete document which can enlighten me on configuration.

do not mix clustering and HA. you can run a cluster without HA, no fencing needed in this case.

the wiki page is clear for me. you need to create the cluster on the first node (pvecm create ...) and then, you need to go to the other node and join it with pvecm add IP-OF-FIRST-NODE. same as with 1.9, just other command.

May be there I made mistake. I ran pvecm create on both the nodes and then providing the Primary IP. let me try that and I'll come back to you on this.

Also, would you please elaborate more on your statement? "you can run a cluster without HA, no fencing needed in this case."
So what would be the use of cluster if HA is not achieved. Does that mean resources can be aggregated and allocate accordingly just like other Virtualization products?

Yeah that done the trick. I configured it without fencing device though.
Now I have one machine configured trying to Add it as HA. But getting below error while starting.
Any clue why?

Executing HA start for VM 100
Member pmx trying to enable pvevm:100...Could not connect to resource group manager
TASK ERROR: command 'clusvcadm -e pvevm:100 -m pmx' failed: exit code 1

##############

Executing HA stop for VM 100
Local machine disabling pvevm:100...Could not connect to resource group manager
TASK ERROR: command 'clusvcadm -d pvevm:100' failed: exit code 1

Nope its not..Though I tried running it..A pop up window says Service Running OK , TASK OK but service still shows stopped.
Would you please elaborate a concept of fencing and why I would need it? And is it needed in this case?

you cannot configure HA without fencing. cluster yes, but not HA.

OK - Here are couple of my other queries and I am really confused about. Would apprecaite if someone can answer those.

To achieve complete HA what are the things needed?

A] Two Pmx servers?
B] Quorum partition? Will iSCSI would do or NFS share? Or I need iSCSI only?
C] Fencing to be configured?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!