Cluster Health Issue

jimwashere

Aug 21, 2018
proxmox-health.PNG So I inherited this ProxMox cluster setup and I am extremely unfamiliar with it. The issue I am having with it now is the health issue which is likely the reason I am unable to spin up a particular VM.

The particular VM I need to spin up seems to not have any backups and therefor I need to tread lightly. I do not want to go trying a bunch of things only to break it and never be able to recover the VM.

Above is the image of the issue I have and could use some recommendations regarding how to safely proceed, and what to watch out for based on the concerns mentioned prior.

Three OSDs of your cluster are down. Click on a server in the GUI and get to the ceph tab. There you can find which disks (1x OSD = 1x disk) are down, then you can check on the host what happend to it. In the meantime, you could create a backup of the needed VM.

Here is a little bit to read, especially the links on the bottom of the post.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ceph-raw-usage-grows-by-itself.38395/#post-189842

When replacing the drives, anything to be aware of? Will they rebuild automatically? If I have to manually rebuild them, anything to be cautious about?

Alwin,

Thanks for replying to my question in the forum.

We will be shutting down our proxmox cluster soon and removing all of our servers from our data center. The reason for this is because it is more efficient for us to have our websites hosted by hosting companies.

With that being said, I am in a spot right now where I really need this VM spun up and with having almost no knowledge of this system, I am terrified I will loose the data for the VM forever because the old admin didn't have backups of it.

Is there a way I can hire someone to assist me with just getting this one vm up and running? I need to get data off of this VM in the next 2 days which leaves me no time for trial and error.

Please let me know if you, or you know someone that I can hire to assist me with this.

Check why the OSDs are down, maybe the service just died, the disk has error or some other resource ran out. Depending on which host they are you can or can not remove them. Check the OSD tab or the CLI 'ceph osd df tree' for more information.

Is there a way I can hire someone to assist me with just getting this one vm up and running? I need to get data off of this VM in the next 2 days which leaves me no time for trial and error.
For one, you can buy a subscription, then we can help you in getting ceph running (no guarantees) again. With 'Standard' and 'Premium' the remote support includes SSH. https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/pricing

Or maybe you find someone on our partner list. https://www.proxmox.com/en/partners

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!