Cluster and DRBD

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
Hey all! New to Proxmox.

I am currently working on setting up a production virtual environment for my place of work. The original plan was to use our native OS (CentOS6)+KVM until I came across proxmox. I was going to have 3 hosts and 1 backup host. The backup host is built to handle all the VM's of 2 hosts if they were to fail. I would like to stick with this plan but use DRBD. My question is, is it possible to setup DRBD on each host to replicate to a single backup server? I would prefer not to have a backup server for each host. I appreciate the input on the subject, I am also open to any ideas or suggestions on the subject. I look forward to hearing what the community has to say.

Thanks,
Adam

no!
much to complicated. Use an raid volume for the active VMs on each server.

Udo

Ahh ok, so we would have 1 physical partition for the OS, 1 parition for the active VM's on the host, and 1 partition for the VM's being backed up. The 3 node cluster is this the typicaly setup most go with out of the box? I really appreciate the input!

Another question I have. As DRBD will be backing these up in real time. How do most of you handle reboots? 60% of our issues come after a reboot. We would like to take snapshot/backup after reboots for a weekly backup. This way if there are issues after a reboot we have a backup to fall on.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!