Cloud-init Ubuntu 18.04 - netplan v2

Hello
I found that problem is with cloud-init configuration which is generated by Ubuntu 18.04 installer. I spent many hours and I finally resolve the issue, doing this:

apt remove cloud-init
apt purge cloud-init
rm -rf /var/lib/cloud/
rm -rf /etc/cloud/
apt install cloud-init

Reactions: avladulescu
Hello
I found that problem is with cloud-init configuration which is generated by Ubuntu 18.04 installer. I spent many hours and I finally resolve the issue, doing this:

apt remove cloud-init
apt purge cloud-init
rm -rf /var/lib/cloud/
rm -rf /etc/cloud/
apt install cloud-init

Nice one. Worked for me!

I was having similar problems. Not only was the cloud-init networking not working but a clone of a template with cloud-init wouldn't change ANY of the settings until I removed the cloud-init instance + configs that ship with the iso now.

For what it's worth, the image I was having problems with is the latest 18.04.3 LTS Ubuntu Server amd64 from Canonical as of this writing.

I had the issue that my Ubuntu 18.04 VMs (based on the Ubuntu cloud image) were not applying cloud-init network config. I'm not entirely sure if this is related to the problem discussed in this thread, but I just wanted to post my solution:

By looking at /var/log/cloud-init.log I figured out that cloud-init was using the "ENI" renderer by default, but my Ubuntu is using netplan. So I had to edit the /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg file in the VM to change the priority of network config renderers by appending the following snippet to the system_info: section
Code:
system_info:
  network:
    renderers: ['netplan', 'eni', 'sysconfig']
Now my cloud-init network config gets applied correctly. Hope this helps!

seems like th
Hello

apt remove cloud-init
apt purge cloud-init
rm -rf /var/lib/cloud/
rm -rf /etc/cloud/
apt install cloud-init
seems like the problem persist in ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. Need to perform the above steps for the IP Config assigned values to be applied.

I didnt have this issue on ubuntu 18.0.4 , using legacy installer.

However I can confirm this issue for ubuntu 20.0.4, using subiquity installer.
Had huge problems using an image that was generated by packer. Basically none of the cloud-init logic was applied after using the image, the cloud-init run was also very short. So no growpart, no ip settings, no hostname set.

During installation of the image cloud-init plays a major role and i think the leftover mess prevents it to run properly afterwards.

I fixed it by adding the following as final steps in my packer template, after this the new VMS based on this image use the cloud-init settings as they should.

Code:
{
      "type": "shell",
      "inline": [
        "echo 'sudopassword' | sudo -S apt remove cloud-init -y",
        "echo 'sudopassword' | sudo -S apt purge cloud-init -y",
        "echo 'sudopassword' | sudo -S rm -rf /var/lib/cloud",
        "echo 'sudopassword' | sudo -S rm -rf /etc/cloud",
        "echo 'sudopassword' | sudo -S apt install cloud-init -y"
      ]
    }

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!