Cloud-init role

drmartins

Mar 3, 2021
Hi,
i have a problem to determine what role or privileges i have to add to user to allow him add cloud-init drive In Hardware. I want to allow users add CloudInit drive on ceph storage. If i add it as Administrator (root), users can modify everything in Cloud-init options. Users now have PVEVMAdmin and PVEDatastroreAdmin roles and cannot add CloudInit drive in Hardware. Thank you for help

Did you found a workaround for this?
As i am also not able to add an "cloudinit drive" within the hardware tab (it is grayed out) - it only works when i logged in as "root" or user with "Adminitrator" role
User has "PVEAdmin" right...

Last edited:
Hello drmartins,

the sayed role "PVEAdmin" has already this priviledge:
1619524724058.png

OK, ill give it a try... as i actualy set the permissions for "/pool/customer" and "/storage/<storage>" level

Unfortunaly it doesnt work either - it is still "greyed out"
1619538716005.png

actualy i set following permissions:

/ @group PVECloudinit
/pool/customer @group PVEAdmin
/storage/localstor @group PVEAdmin

I think you need add PVEDatastoreAdmin role to group for your storage becouse cloudinit drive is qcow2 file (or raw when ou have ceph)

hmm - i can not imagin that this should be necessary to give an user/group the permission to creat/add cloudinit drives...
and as you have write this in your start topic it did not work for you also

Well i wrote that i have user with datastoreadmin but i did not have role PVECloudInit
i have more clusters
i will try to get it work on others and let you know

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!