cloning a KVM?

Jae Lee

Renowned Member
Coming from Xen/VMWare, cloning, templating, and booting up a live VM in seconds are one of those features that makes virtualization wonderful but I do not see it supported on Proxmox(?).

Or am I overlooking something or is there some reason proxmox don't support this?
I know you can manually do some workarounds via CLI, boot it up and change the IP, etc, but why not be able to do it from GUI?

Lack of this feature makes it a bit tough sell to customers, because currently they have to buy a VM, and they have to install OS from scratch via the VNC? Using Hostbill btw.

OTOH, the Openvz is not a problem and I wish KVM worked in similar fashion where you can boot up a fresh image in seconds.

But please correct me if I'm wrong ...

Oh and I do know about the part where you can do it on a VM that has "stopped". But would like to see it done on a live running VM w/o downtime.

On Xen, you can create instant snapshot and convert the "snapshot" into a template no problem w/o any downtime.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!