Cloned CTs are not recognized by Saltstack

stsinc

Apr 15, 2021
Considering the great number of CTs, VMs and embedded docker containers we have now, I have decided to use Saltstack to provision and manage my Proxmox containers and their content.
Works very well with Proxmox, when installed at every level: node, CT, etc.

The only issue I have is when duplicating a Proxmox CT: the duplicate is missed with his "parent" and is not considered a new Unaccepted Key.
And therefore cannot be registered by the Salt Master.

I know this is not a Saltstack forum, but if anybody has the response, they are welcome... :)

Last edited:
Good morning,

pure guesswork: change the content of /etc/salt/minion_id to a new unique one, restart the minion and wait for an unknown key on the master.

This is not tested, just guessed. If that was not sufficient: in /etc/salt/pki/minion are keys that may need to get deleted too.

Best regards

Hi Udo,
Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately, none of the solutions worked:
  1. the `/etc/salt/minion_id` file contains the hostname of the unrecognized machine -- which is different, I checked, from the hostname of its "parent"
  2. `/etc/salt/pki/minion` is empty in the Minion
Best,
Stephen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!