Clone Template -> Permission Check failed (/, Sys.Console) (403)

Aug 13, 2021
Hi Proxmox Community,

we have an enviroment with about 300 pupils in an education enviroment. Every pupil have a own ressource pool with Administrator permission. Every pupil is member of a group. The group have PVEDatastoreUser on every /storage/<STORAGE>. The group have also PVEVMAdmin permission on the Template that i want to clone and also sys.console permission. When a pupil connect to the proxmox enviroment they can see the template. When they right click on the template and select clone and want to create a full clone then the pupils get the message Permission check failed (/, Sys.Console) (403). I had tried a lot. When i got it running the pubils see about 800 LXC/VMs from all other. (e.g. Permission on / PVEVMAdmin). The Websearch wasn't successfully, only one hit in 2013. Have any one an idea what i can do? I don't have any idea ? Every user can create VMs and LCXs but no clones. I don't unserstand what is wrong?

Kind Regards and many thanks
Michael

OK, write down the problem is the solutuion. :) I had create a new role with the sys.console privileg. Then i add the new role to the goup with path / and it works :)

Hi,
giving out Sys.Console permission might be a bit much. Probably there's an option in your template configuration that needs this privilege. On a hunch, is it using cdrom volume for the physical CD ROM drive? Otherwise, feel free to share the template configuration.

Hello Fabian,

Thanks very much. You are right. This machine have a cd-rom. Here is the configuration:

boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.1,ctime=1651585245
name: WebDocker
net0: virtio=2A:2F:A3:5C:C1:03,bridge=vmbr20,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: SSD-School:vm-136-disk-0,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=06fb7a4b-6d47-463a-8ee7-70f92977ea2c
sockets: 1
template: 1
vmgenid: d52fd246-049e-4140-9700-fae035754d92

I have to create in the next time some other templates for training porpose. All informations about the permissions will be very helpfull.

Kind Regards

Michael Wagner

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!