Clone host to larger SSD

Nixellion

Mar 6, 2019
Hi! What would be the easiest\fastest and the most painless way to move host disk to a larger storage? A jump from 120GB to 1TB SSD.

If I just clone the disk with clonezilla\EaseUS or any other disk cloning tool - will Proxmox adjust lvm sizes or will it stay with it's initial 90G\40G as it set itself up on 120GB and I'll need to expand storage manually?

I've googled this for a while now and I got too many different approaches and suggestions and can't have a clear picture of the process.

Or is it better to just run new fresh install and restore VMs and CTs from backups? What settings should I be ready to restore manually? Like network setup, drives mounts, etc?

Thanks for your time and attention!

Last edited:
hi,
will Proxmox adjust lvm sizes or will it stay with it's initial 90G\40G as it set itself up on 120GB and I'll need to expand storage manually?
you would have to adjust manually afterwards.

Or is it better to just run new fresh install and restore VMs and CTs from backups? What settings should I be ready to restore manually? Like network setup, drives mounts, etc?
you can copy your storage settings, network settings, all the VMs and CTs you have. just take a backup of your entire /etc folder to be sure and restore everything you need from there like /etc/pve/storage.cfg or /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts and similar.

hi,

you would have to adjust manually afterwards.

you can copy your storage settings, network settings, all the VMs and CTs you have. just take a backup of your entire /etc folder to be sure and restore everything you need from there like /etc/pve/storage.cfg or /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts and similar.

Well, this also interests me. Googling around is not clear what is the right command sequence and also how to grow metadata in the right way.
I would like also grow the swap area.

Thanks!

hi guys, i have a big problem too.

scenario : 1 server proxmox 6.3 with a VM with Cento OS on it, and a directory for data storage.

During a copy/paste of a big size files in that directory, the VM has changed his look and it's appera a yellow triangle on it with a exclamative point. A few moment later, proxmox gui has crashed and has worked no more.
If i watch the space left on proxmox disks ( not vm disk ) with a 3rd part software, i see that it's zero space left. I can work in SSH trough putty, but gui don't start and vm too, don't start. which way i can try to resolve this issue? if i clone disk to a bigger one, on which way i can expand the system on the new more large partition?
thanx guys in advace :D

Personally I've tried clonezilla several times and it didn't work. First time it worked though but I screwed up the partitions by shrinking one too much (on the copied disk of course, the original is still intact). So I'm just gonna try a fresh install

Personally I've tried clonezilla several times and it didn't work. First time it worked though but I screwed up the partitions by shrinking one too much (on the copied disk of course, the original is still intact). So I'm just gonna try a fresh install
You can also use dd from a live linux to just do a 1 to 1 blocklevel copy of the whole disk (first to last sector). And then edit the partitions later using gparted.

Last edited:
You can also use dd from a live linux to just do a 1 to 1 blocklevel copy of the whole disk (first to last sector). And then edit the partitions later using gparted.
I'm a little intimidated by the CLI :) so I was searching for any GUI alternatives. Guess there are none left anymore

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!