[SOLVED] Clean boot stuck at EFI stub: Loaded initrd ....

jaykavathe

Feb 25, 2021
I have a 3 node cluster, 3 identical Dell R630s. All were running Proxmox7 and eventually updated them to 8 ... all good.
Having played with stuff, decided upgrade storage, and do a clean installation on 3.
Got dell bios/idrac updated on all etc.

Now 2 of my nodes got installation done smoothly but my primary node is stuck at:
"EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path"

Somewhere I read that I can get old proxmox installed and upgraded to 8. Is that the only way? Wondering why this perticular node is stuck when they all are identical?

Same issue.. but the strange part this is failing in the second install. I installed first in a pair of nvme to test and all worked well. A few days later, I decided to make a new installation in a pair of SSDs with the intention of using the fast nvem for zfs cache. But the new installation is not booting. I did use the same USB with the exact ISO image. In both cases I did the same setup with zfsa raid1 for boot.

I get this message but also a second line:
"EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path"
"EFI stub: Measured initrd data into PCR 3"

Not sure what else to do. I swapped back to the NVME and it stated OK. I had not paid attention before, but this error does pop in the first install. But after 2 seconds it continues to boot.

Last edited:
I actually found my issue. The drives had old zpool from previous installation on them.
I loaded gparted live boot, wiped everything clean and then had no issue at all.

Also pretty much everytime, adding "nomodeset" to launch params is helping me.

Reactions: ericperko

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!