CIFS disable does not unmount causing flood of errors in syslog

das1996

May 26, 2021
Proxmox 7.2

From the web ui I have configured a cifs location for backup and iso purposes. I click enable under the general properties and it connects fine.

After completion of task I select disable. The storage location is removed from the ui.

Issuing mount command in console indicates the share is still mounted and active.

The problem arises is that the share is now offline/powered down. Syslog gets flooded with errors that so and so cifs location cannot be reached.

The expected behavior of unchecking the enable button is that the mount will unmount.

The work around has been to manually unmount it by issuing a umount /mnt/pve/cifs_share.

This behavior existed in 6.x, now in 7.2. I haven't upgraded to 7.4 yet, but has this been fixed?

Wow, going on 7 years.

Is there a reason for the current implementation method?
Haven't been around when it was implemented, but I think it's because Proxmox VE didn't want to assume exclusive access to the storage. For example, there could be setups where other services want to access the mount even if it's disabled in Proxmox VE.

^^Makes sense, but also seems simple enough to add another toggle under the disable.

"Unmount share?" Selection of toggle becomes available if the disable button is checked.

Reactions: stefanodm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!