Chelsio T520-SO-CR

Dec 14, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to set up a new ProxMox server to replace VMWare. The network cards I have for the job are Chelsio T520-SO-CR but the system will not boot properly with this card in it. If I remove the card, no problems.

The error I am getting on the screen is something about t5-config.txt being missing and no FCoE being available despite me not wanting FCoE. Did I get the wrong network card or is there something I need to do to get this to work?

I have the latest ProxMox VE installed and updated.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

we have the 2.0.0 kernel module of this card
There is a newer version (2.1.0.1) of this module, may be this will fix your problem.
There is a DPDK on there Download page
https://service.chelsio.com/

Wolfgang, thank you for your reply.

Please forgive me. While I am confident with CentOS and Ubuntu, I am fairly new to Proxmox.

I have tried compiling the DPDK from Chelsio but it gives me an error below. This is likely outside the scope of this forum.

igb_uio/igb_uio.c:445:7: error: implicit declaration of function ‘pci_enable_msix’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

if (pci_enable_msix(dev, &msix_entry, 1) == 0) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wolfgang, are you able to suggest a 10G SFP+ network card that will work out of the box? It's a USD$35,000 server deployment and so the price of the network card isn't that important, rock-solid support is.

I was unable to compile the suggested driver but, to be honest, I'd prefer the one I didn't have to muck around with.

Many user and we have a Intel NIC.
This NIC has a good support and we patch all needed off tree modules in the PVE Kernel.

Last edited:
Are you able to recommend a particular Intel chip or do they all work? Is the x710 known to work? Once this goes into production, I am buying a support subscription but I need the hardware to work first. You probably hear that all the time though :(

I have looked for an HCL for Proxmox and Debian but couldn't find one that lists NICs.

The annoying thing is the Chelsio card works fine on CentOS 7.

Thank you, Wolfgang. Now I can be sure of the card I have to buy. I just didn't want to make a US$1,000 mistake (again). Been looking forward to getting this to run in production for a long time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!