Checking the Local Storage, Root, Swap status

jagan

Feb 11, 2015
india,chennai
Hi team,

i am new to proxmox , currently i am using proxmox 3.3 version. proxmox installed on /dev/sda (ssd-120gb) and it has 2nd disk /dev/sdb(hdd-1tb). i am using 2nd disk as lvm storage to store VM images. Now my queries are

1.How to check the storage status (free,usage) of ssd, is there any gui package/app to monitor status of PV,VG&LV . in cli with fdisk and display cmds we can n't see the free&usage space.

2. After installation of PMX on ssd it is split-ted into 3 partitions (root,swap,data) how to check the free and usage space of these 3 partitions. And what is the min. required or recommended space for root/swap. is there any guide line for root/swap?

3. Where to see the file system type / partition type of logical volumes? Both both SSD(pve) & HDD(lvm).

4. I got some 60gb of data partition from SSD to store images/files. i am installed a VM using 30gb of space but in gui it is using total-60gb,usage-10gb,free-50gb. And it is allowing me to create a VM with 200gb space how it is possible.
How to know the real space used by a VM while it is operational ?

I am getting little bit confusion on Root , Swap and SSD(local storage) utilization. In gui or CLI i am unable to understand total/usage/free space values. Please anyone can help me,

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi team,
1.How to check the storage status (free,usage) of ssd,

you can ssh to the system
Code:
ssh root@serverip

Once in the terminal run:
Code:
df -h
you will see something like this
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]
Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity   iused     ifree %iused  Mounted on[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk0s2   953Gi  383Gi  570Gi    41% 100403567 149437687   40%   /[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]devfs          179Ki  179Ki    0Bi   100%       618         0  100%   /dev
[/FONT]

Hi, thanks for quick reply,

what is the guid line for root and swap partitions. what is the recommended space for root and swap in PMX 3.3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!