Changing VMID of a VM

Shutdown the VM. then full Cloning when put the new vmid and then remove the origin VM con the VMID that you need para the new VM backup.

For those who don't understand how this issue might occur, here is an example:

You set up PBS sync to a remote machine, this same machine either already has a VM backup with the same ID, or will eventually backup a VM with the same ID. This will cause these backups to be grouped as if they are the same machine, this causes confusion and issues with purging if the rules are set on the PBS instance.

For me, I have a cloud server running PBS that already had backups under VMID 100 and 101. Once adding a sync job from a remote host, it successfully synced, but in the same grouping as the VM ID that was already there. This appears as extra VM backups.

You set up PBS sync to a remote machine, this same machine either already has a VM backup with the same ID, or will eventually backup a VM with the same ID. This will cause these backups to be grouped as if they are the same machine, this causes confusion and issues with purging if the rules are set on the PBS instance.

For me, I have a cloud server running PBS that already had backups under VMID 100 and 101. Once adding a sync job from a remote host, it successfully synced, but in the same grouping as the VM ID that was already there. This appears as extra VM backups.
You should not be backing up multiple independent Proxmox hosts into the same PBS datastore. You should create a second datastore in PBS, it could even point to the same underlying filesystem, just different top level directory.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

You should not be backing up multiple independent Proxmox hosts into the same PBS datastore. You should create a second datastore in PBS, it could even point to the same underlying filesystem, just different top level directory.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Duh! Can't believe I didn't realize my mistake. Thank you

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!