changing vm from ide to virtio

konabi

Dec 14, 2013
Hi,
I am new with proxmox.
I created a vm runningDebian 7.
For HDD I used ide emulution. Is it possible to change from ide to virtio without installing the vw new.

Thanks for help
Sven

Yes. I have done this several times. Just add a new network interface in the setup of the virtual machine which is of type virtio, and delete the old one.
I suppose you have to reboot the Debian machine.

)-|algeir

I guess he is talking about the disk device not the network one.
You can edit the .conf file of the VM and change idex to virtiox for the disk you want ( after a total shutdown
of the VM changes takes effect )
However you should note that this will change from /dev/sda to /dev/vda so any references to this naming
has to be changed inside your VM. For a test you can do this and boot in single mode to see if it mounts rootfs
properly..

Hi,
I am new with proxmox.
I created a vm runningDebian 7.
For HDD I used ide emulution. Is it possible to change from ide to virtio without installing the vw new.

Thanks for help
Sven

1. Remove HDD from VM, so it becomes "Unused".
2. Add unused HDD back to VM as a virtio (just double click on it).
3. Shutdown the machine and start again.

I guess he is talking about the disk device not the network one.
You can edit the .conf file of the VM and change idex to virtiox for the disk you want ( after a total shutdown
of the VM changes takes effect )
However you should note that this will change from /dev/sda to /dev/vda so any references to this naming
has to be changed inside your VM. For a test you can do this and boot in single mode to see if it mounts rootfs
properly..

Sorry. Misread message. :)

)-|algeir

Hi folks,

thanks for your replies, you helped me.
I wish you nice christmas days.

Sven

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!