Changing Quorum IPs on Active Cluster

gboyce

Jul 8, 2021
HI,
I'm running a 2 node cluster with a quorum device as the 3rd node for quorum sync with PVE6.4. I need to change the network that quorum uses. Currently my nodes are managed on our cooperate network, and I ran into a problem with an IP conflict with the quorum device when doing some maintenance on my 2nd node which caused everything to go down. I want to move the quorum to its own subnet and vlan isolated from the management, but I don't want anything to freak out when I do it. What is the proper procedure for moving to a new network for quorum?

Just to make sure I understood you correctly. You have a 2 node cluster plus a 3rd machine used for the QDevice and you want to only change the IP of the QDevice?
The IPs used for Corosync on the 2 nodes will stay the same?

In that case, first remove the QDevice from the cluster: pvecm qdevice remove. Then change the IP address of the QDevice machine and set it up again with the new IP.

Just to make sure I understood you correctly. You have a 2 node cluster plus a 3rd machine used for the QDevice and you want to only change the IP of the QDevice?
The IPs used for Corosync on the 2 nodes will stay the same?

In that case, first remove the QDevice from the cluster: pvecm qdevice remove. Then change the IP address of the QDevice machine and set it up again with the new IP.
Sorry, no. I want to put all corosync on a new IP range. Right now, all management and quorum are on the same subnet. I want to have management, storage, and quorum/corosync each on different subnets and vlans.

Ah okay, well in that case, you still should remove the QDevice for the changes.
Do you have HA enabled? If so, better disable it for the time of the changes:
First stop the LRM on all nodes:
Code:
systemstl stop pve-ha-lrm

Only then the CRM on all nodes:
Code:
systemctl stop pve-ha-crm

Now for corosync you can either add the new IP as a second link/ring and add additional redundancy or change the current link. You will need to adapt the /etc/pve/corosync.conf file and whenever you change anything, always increase the value of "config_version"!

If you only change the IP addresses of the current link, Corosync will not automatically switch to it. You will have to restart Corosync on the nodes:
Code:
systemctl restart corosync.service
Once you restarted it on both nodes, check with pvecm status if the 2 nodes found each other again. Once that is the case, you can recreate the QDevice.

Reactions: gboyce

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!