Changing Outgoing Policy to DROP in Datacenter Firewall

rackdie

Jan 1, 2023
I am receiving alot of abuse reports for mail spamming so I want to allow incoming port 25 traffic to receive mails but want to drop outgoing for port 25 so no one can send mails.
I have configured the main datacenter firewall with drop incoming connections except the ports i need. I now want to block all outgoing traffic like mail spam so is it possible to change Outgoing Policy from ACCEPT to DROP in datacenter firewall instead of manually doing it in each VM. is there any negative side of changing from ACCEPT to DROP?

Are you running the mail server bare metal? Keep in mind that the datacenter firewall will only block traffic to/from your nodes, not to/from your VMs/LXCs.

Are you running the mail server bare metal? Keep in mind that the datacenter firewall will only block traffic to/from your nodes, not to/from your VMs/LXCs.
So that means I have to do it manually for all VMs? am i right? its their any easier way to like copy paste firewall rules from one VM and paste it to other VM

its their any easier way to like copy paste firewall rules from one VM and paste it to other VM
Have a look a security groups. You could create security group for blocking mail trafic and then add that security group to all VMs using mails.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!