Changing my Storage Configuration

Astraea

Renowned Member
Aug 25, 2018
So I have been running my 7 Proxmox nodes with 6 of them using mirrored hardware raid and the 7th using mirrored ZFS. I have then used my NAS boxes for VM and all other related storage using the onboard storage only for Proxmox itself.

The reason for the switch is to have my firewall, reverse proxy and mail gateway on true HA vs just HA on the node but SPOF when it comes to storage. Though I have thought about moving 3 of my NAS boxes to TrueNAS scale and trying for a clustered storage approach but not sure how "production" ready that part of Scale is.

I am thinking of going to a single disk for my Proxmox node and using the second disk for Ceph storage so that I can have a handful of VMs using HA storage vs just my lone NAS. Unfortunately, most of my nodes do not support IT or JBOD and so the 2 disks would be single RAID 0. The one that does allow for IT/JBOD would probably just be a single ZFS for Proxmox and Ceph for the other one but might move back to ext4 for it as well to keep all the nodes as the same as possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice, or opinions on this idea? I do plan to upgrade my nodes to either custom-built 4U nodes with consumer hardware or to Dell R720 or R730s hopefully in the next year or so.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!