Changing ISO files location

kaneelschep

Jan 7, 2023
Hi all.

Until now, My Proxmox experience has been quite straight forward.

Up until the point I got an error when uploading an ISO. When I searched for the solution, I found that the place where the ISO's are uploaded is full.
I have a 128gb SSD for proxmox itself. And it made a 30gb local, and a 65gb local-lvm on that.

As the local location is very small to put even a few iso files on, I would have expected to be able to move the ISO location easily in the gui.
I have plenty of other bigger locations for it.
But I can not find howto. When I search the web, it also does not come up.
I only find solutions from people relocating it manually. But I am not that good with Linux to understand what they are doing.

Maybe someone can tell me where to find the gui option? Or how to relocate it manually step by step?

I also freed up space and tried to upload a large image. But even though there is enough room for this ISO, it still gives an error. It seems to copy it to a temp location first and then tries to copy it to the ISO location. That would mean it actually needs twice the space for the ISO? That seems quite unintuitive.
Is this true?

Thanks a lot!

It will will first upload that ISO to /var/tmp and after that upload has finished it will move it to the target destination. So yes, you need enough space on your root filesystem and on the ISO storage. But not sure if you really need double the space. In case a "mv" would be used and you store ISOs on the root filesystem as well, it shouldn`t need double the space.

And there is no way to move ISOs using the webUI. If you are missing most basic Linux knowlage and can't move files in CLI, but you are using a Windows machine to administrate your PVE server, you could install WinSCP to have a GUI to move files. But you really should learn basic Linux administration anyway. PVE isn`t an appliance and you have to adminitrate it yourself like every other normal linux server. You always need to use the CLI to keep your PVE server safe and well optimized.

Thanks for the reply!

I copied the output of the upload process:
starting file import from: /var/tmp/pveupload-302fa7feec8b923c00b3cdd4186dd03d
target node: Proxo
target file: /var/lib/vz/template/iso/2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-armhf.img
file size is: 4261412864
command: cp -- /var/tmp/pveupload-302fa7feec8b923c00b3cdd4186dd03d /var/lib/vz/template/iso/2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-armhf.img
finished file import successfully
TASK OK

What i see in the above is that target location is on the same locations as the temp folder is.
So it would seem like it needs twice the space, no?
I tried with an 11gb file and I have 17gb free. Still cant upload. Smaller files do upload.

Anyway, so no gui option. That is too bad.
Maybe something to add for the future?!
I imagine I am not the only person who would like to move ISO location.
Maybe we should all be able to do it in a shell, but with that reasoning, why even have a Gui at all.

But yes. You are right. I should definitely learn more about shell usage. I am already trying some things, but didnt get very far. Having no time and all.
I am just learning a bit about VM's on different platforms. And now it was proxmox's turn.
Which I like the best, btw. It runs the most software in the VM's.

cp -- /var/tmp/pveupload-302fa7feec8b923c00b3cdd4186dd03d /var/lib/vz/template/iso/2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-armhf.img
With cp it should temporarily need double the space on the root filesystem, as both /var/lib/vz and /var/tmp are part of the root filesystem.

Maybe we should all be able to do it in a shell, but with that reasoning, why even have a Gui at all.
99% can't be done using the webUI. It's just for the most common tasks to make the life a bit easier. Its a full headless OS after all and not an appliance where you are limited to only the features the GUI offers.
Moving files is one of the easiest things of all: mv /path/your/file.iso /target/folder/to/store/your/file.iso
You don't even need to type the in the full path when using the TAB key for auto completion. so it might even be faster to move that ISO in CLI than using the webUI for that.

and after that upload has finished it will move it to the target destination
What baffles me as a new user trying to do this is: where is this target destination?

I can't for the life of me figure out the path of, say, an ISO file on my internal SSD drive so that I can move it to the external drive.

What baffles me as a new user trying to do this is: where is this target destination?

I can't for the life of me figure out the path of, say, an ISO file on my internal SSD drive so that I can move it to the external drive.
via CLI it is very easy. The default is a storage location called local (in my system, mileage may vary):

Code:
root@proxmox ~ > pvesm status
Name             Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local             dir     active       381197696         9249664       371948032    2.43%
local-zfs     zfspool     active       424759160        52811032       371948128   12.43%

root@proxmox ~ > pvesm list local
Volid                                                    Format  Type            Size VMID
local:iso/proxmox-ve_7.3-1.iso                           iso     iso       1108862976

root@proxmox ~ > cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup
        prune-backups keep-last=1
        shared 0

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content images,rootdir
        sparse 1

root@proxmox ~ > ls -l /var/lib/vz/
insgesamt 50
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 5 19. Mai 07:53 dump
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2  4. Mai 2020  images
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4 17. Jan 2022  template

root@proxmox ~ > ls -l /var/lib/vz/template/iso/proxmox-ve_7.3-1.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1108862976 10. Jan 14:27 /var/lib/vz/template/iso/proxmox-ve_7.3-1.iso

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!