Changing a network card

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
huh... , we broke a port on the card by pulling the cable thinking it was unplugged already just stuck, it was stuck because it was not unplugged. It is working and we just made sure this cable is not moving with some tape :p...

We want to replace it anyway just in case somebody pulls on it harder. I have read this post: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/change-nic.26788/ (kudos to UDO) and it seems easy at least from the description, anybody found it problematic, want to share any problems we might encounter ?

So the procedure would be:
1. Make a note on network names which I remember and they match what is in lspci | grep Ethernet
2. Power down the node
3. Replace the card and power up.
4. Check for the new names , in my case it should be the same name as I am plugging it to the same slot and it is the same dual card model.
-- to conclude I would just swap the card boot up and I font really need to change anything as the names should be the same and they are already programmed in /etc/network interfaces. Am I right ?

Thank you

Hi,
-- to conclude I would just swap the card boot up and I font really need to change anything as the names should be the same and they are already programmed in /etc/network interfaces. Am I right ?
Yes, if the slot and the driver stay the same the interfaces should work without changes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!