Change ZFS data store replication

May 31, 2019
It looks like the default location for ZFS VMs replication is in rpool/data is there a way to change that? I have a second ZFS pool on my machines that are much bigger where as the rpool pool is simply not large enough to fit the VMs I want to replicate.

Hi,
PVE will replicate to the same storage where the volumes are on the source node and for local-zfs that is indeed /rpool/data. Sadly it's not yet possible to specify a different mapping for replication; there is an open feature request for this.

Well I suppose that is both good news and bad news in my case, the two nodes which I want to replicate between are identical. However I named the matching ZFS pools on each node differently (i.e. Node A - ZFSA, Node B -ZFSB). Is it safe to rename a ZFS pool ?

Usually yes, just make sure nothing is using the pool, and best to disable the storage in PVE too. Then export the pool and import again with a new name, i.e. zpool export <currentname> and zpool import <currentname> <newname>. And now you can update the storage configuration for PVE with the new name. On subsequent imports the new name will be used automatically.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!