Change Virtio SCSI to Virtio SCSI Single with Windows Server Guest

dbayer

Renowned Member
Apr 15, 2016
Hello,

I've created a Windows Server 2019 guest with multiple drives. When doing a disk intensive operation it is causing a lot of IO Delay. When I created the Guest I did not set the SCSI Controller to Single.

Is it possible to change it to SCSI Single and IO Thread for each drive without causing issues to the Guest?

Thanks!

Hi,

It is the same driver, so yes, it should work.
With Win10, it works without problems.

But where do you have the IO Delay?
If it is on the host, the change of the io bus will not help.

Hi,

It is the same driver, so yes, it should work.
With Win10, it works without problems.

But where do you have the IO Delay?
If it is on the host, the change of the io bus will not help.

Thanks for the quick answer.

It is on the host. The guest is essentially a new version of an old 2008R2 server. The IO Delay happens during a disk backup inside the Guest. The New Guest with Server 2019 takes an additional hour to finish the process compared to the old 2008R2 guest. I was hoping the SCSI Controller and IO Thread would help.

Backup with Proxmox VE internal Backup or is the backup done in the VM?

Maybe the Backup changed?
And they use now smaller blocks?

I made a mistake. The Backup schedule starts an hour later, that's why it ends an hour later. :oops:

Just in case anyone else looks at this thread. I did change the Controller to VirtIO SCSI Single and change each hard drive to IO Threading. When you reboot windows you have to make all Drives other then the C Drive go back online. Other then that it worked fine. However it did not speed up the backup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!