Change Server to New Server

cocobanana

Jun 18, 2021
Hi,

I have questions here.

I have 3 Servers in a cluster without shared storage(CEPH). All 3 servers working very fine . Each server has 10 VM ( Windows and Linux and they works fine )

Apparently all 3 servers are very old server and I already buy 3 new server to replace 3 server without breaking the cluster and without destroying all the proxmox config.

Can anyone help me on how to change from 3 old server to new old servers? What is the best method and what is the super safe steps that i have to do?

Please help

Thanks

Depending on the version of Proxmox you have on your "old" cluster I would either:

- Add new servers to the current cluster (install Proxmox, configure networks, check ip communication, add to cluster). Then you can move your VM's to the new servers using live migration and remove old servers from cluster. Keep in mind HA configuration if you have it.

- Create a new cluster using the new servers (install Proxmox, configure networks (maybe new or in the same ip addressing/vlans), create cluster). Then stop VM, back it up, move the backup to the new cluster and restore in the new cluster.

Of course, make sure you have backups of all your VM's in any other location than either the new or old servers and that you can restore from your backups in case you need them.

Apparently I am using a new Proxmox 7.1.4

our 3 servers name :-
Node-1
Node-2
Node-3

1) How can I re-use the same name?
2) Can i just migrate VM in Node-1 to Node-2, turn off Node-1 and install new proxmox in a new server and re-use Node-1 name nad config?

Thanks for the reply

That version is supported, so you can proceed with my first option.

For peace of mind, I would not reuse any name nor IP addresses for the new servers to avoid confusions. For example, Proxmox uses ssh keys among all nodes in a cluster. If you reuse a name or IP, old nodes will try to reach your new server as it uses the old IP and/or name and problems may arise at some point.

I'm not stating that it can't be done, just that I would set new server names, IPs and so on.

hi,

here's one way:

1. migrate all VMs to node1
2. remove node2 and node3 from cluster
3. upgrade node1 [0]
4. reinstall/upgrade node2 and node3
5. migrate VMs back to original nodes

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0

Sorry oguz, I don't get the point on how that procedure can be used to migrate all nodes in a cluster from old to new servers. Could you please elaborate? Thanks! :)

Sorry oguz, I don't get the point on how that procedure can be used to migrate all nodes in a cluster from old to new servers. Could you please elaborate? Thanks!
ah sorry, i thought you keep the first server :)
probably you'd have to do the VM juggling one more time to get the last server upgraded with the way i described.

the best option anyway is to have a shared storage with your VMs, and backup of your configs (like described in your second option)

ah sorry, i thought you keep the first server :)
probably you'd have to do the VM juggling one more time to get the last server upgraded with the way i described.

the best option anyway is to have a shared storage with your VMs, and backup of your configs (like described in your second option)

It's not my cluster, it's "cocobanana"'s one. I'm just trying to help him :)

He already has Proxmox 7.1.4 on the old servers and needs to replace those 3 servers with 3 new ones using the same Proxmox version.

Thanks for the reply,

However, other than shared storage. Can I just simply migrate all VMs to node 1, then remove node-2 and node-3, reinstall latest proxmox in a new server and reuse node-2 and node 3 and reuse the IP address?

But, can you help me on what command that i need to use to remove the node-2 and node-3 ?

I need to reuse the name and IP for node-2 and node-3.

Thanks

Hi!

Would it be an option to make a tar backup of the /etc directory and copy that to the new server?

Hope somebody can tell me.

Regards,
Jeroen Baten

Basically you can simply change the disk. But that assumes that you don't have any HW or fake RAID in use. You can also copy the entire disc to a new one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!