Change Proxmox IP address

Nathan Davis

Aug 27, 2017
I am trying to migrate my proxmox server to a new subnet VLAN to separate it from my home network. I going from subnet 192.168.1.1/24 to 192.168.3.1/24. I have configured the switch to put it in the new vlan and edited /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts to the new 192.168.3.5 IP but the server won't pull an IP.

The server has an IPMI interface on the same VLAN that is pulling its static IP 192.168.3.6, so I think the vlan is correct.

What file/setting am I missing? I have been googling the issue and see that proxmox recommends using the GUI and not the cli to change network settings, but there must be a way to edit the settings manually?

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp5s0f0 inet manual

iface enp5s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.3.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.3.1
bridge-ports enp5s0f0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports enp5s0f1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Last edited:
I determined my problem was due to another ethernet cable plugged into enp5s0f1. Unplugging that cable and rebooting fixed the issue.

Reactions: Nam Trần

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!