Change CPU cores assigned

nsantos

Nov 11, 2015
Hello all,

I've Proxmox installed in a 4 Core Host and I have 3 Virtual Machines running on that server.

At that time I've created the Virtual Machine with only one Core and now I can not change.

I would like to change it to 2 or even 4, but after set that option and after reboot the VM the ubuntu in VM still reporting 1 core.

Could you please tell me if it is really possible to change? How can I do it?

Thanks in advance!
Nuno

I make the change then power off to minimize downtime, not to mention if the VM is in HA, the above way isn't going to work so well as the VM will probably get restarted before you can make the change.
It shouldn't matter if it is HA or not. If you power it down, it should not come back on until you power it on.

It shouldn't matter if it is HA or not. If you power it down, it should not come back on until you power it on.

That is interesting, I have 30+ clusters in house and 30+ out in the field. All of which automatically start the VM backup when I issue "shutdown -h now" on the VM. Maybe what you are thinking only works when you issue stop/shutdown from the host. No doubt though, if its shutdown from the VM, HA starts it automatically.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that.

How do you keep new and idle VMs from just turning on? Sounds like a pretty stupid design....HA doesn't mean power shit back on that I turned off.

I've never heard of that.

How do you keep new and idle VMs from just turning on? Sounds like a pretty stupid design....HA doesn't mean power shit back on that I turned off.

If its a new VM I won't add it to HA. If its an existing VM which I need to keep powered off, I remove it from HA.

I do believe that using "stop" from the host will stop HA, but in our environment that really isn't viable.

I don't use HA on proxmox but at work, all my hyper-v and esx VMS run in HA, and when powered off from the VM, they stay off. If proxmox changes this expected behavior from every other hypervisor, they might want to rethink that

I don't use HA on proxmox but at work, all my hyper-v and esx VMS run in HA, and when powered off from the VM, they stay off. If proxmox changes this expected behavior from every other hypervisor, they might want to rethink that

Yea it would make my life a bit easier, but removing/adding from HA is very simple. Here is a thread confirming that "stop" from the host actually disables HA.

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/19986-VMs-in-HA-autostart-all-the-time

That's insane...who at proxmox thought this was a good idea?

Maybe there isn't an easy way to correlate a proper shutdown on a VM to the host. We run ACPID in all of our CentOS guests so I don't think its an issue with that. I know if I shutdown a host, it gracefully shutdowns my VM's and acpi is used for that. The guest has no real clue its virtulized, I don't see how it would know to tell the host to keep it off. Possibly vmware-tools installed on the guest is ensuring the VM stays powered off?

Maybe there isn't an easy way to correlate a proper shutdown on a VM to the host. We run ACPID in all of our CentOS guests so I don't think its an issue with that. I know if I shutdown a host, it gracefully shutdowns my VM's and acpi is used for that. The guest has no real clue its virtulized, I don't see how it would know to tell the host to keep it off. Possibly vmware-tools installed on the guest is ensuring the VM stays powered off?
No. I have linux VMs running on hyper-v with no tools installed. HA should handle the failed status of the host. It shouldn't touch the VM power state.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!