Change Console Interface and IP to Internal Port

norsemangrey

Feb 8, 2021
Sorry if my terminology is off. Hopefully you will get my meaning.

My Proxmox host has 5 NICs. My router is a virtual pfSense running on Proxmox providing two subnets (SEC / IOT) connected to separate physical switches from the Proxmox NICs.

The console interface to Proxmox is now on a physical NIC enp2s0f1, with an IP as shown below, connected to the same physical switch as the SEC interface coming from pfSense. So I guess it is kind of a loopback.

My question is: can I also create an "internal" connection to the Proxmox console so I do not have to rely on the physical interface being connected?

y7kdh6fslsfa1.png

You can always add IP addresses to the other network interfaces. The Proxmox web interface listens on port 8006 regardlzof IP address.

Changing IP addresses in an existing cluster is a different topic though.

Thanks. That worked just fine. Learned something new today :)
Now to something more tricky perhaps. The bottom interface is a (vmbr4) is a trunked interface / VLAN aware (I have just started configuring VLANs on pfSense). Should I be able to do the same thing there? I guess, perhaps not, because I tried to give it an address on one of the VLAN ranges and I could not reach the web console on that address.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!