Change CIFS mount password?

rsteele

Oct 3, 2020
For....reasons...I needed to change the password of the account I used to mount a CIFS filesystem from my synology in my Proxmox instance. However, now I cannot figure out how to change the password on an existing storage in Proxmox: the password field (most of them, actually) are disabled when editing the storage entry.

How do I change the password?

you can use 'pvesm set STORAGEID --password' see 'man pvesm'

Thanks. When I do that I get a response ignoring password parameter without it appearing to have changed it.

from the code it seems that this happens only when there is no username set for the storage

I definitely have a user set. In any case I tried to also pass the --user option and that appears to have worked. Thanks.

Hi, Same here, I had a working share, I had to change the IPAddress. So I had to set the changes in Proxmox too. You have to pass the "--username XXXXX --password YYYY" argument for it to work, won't work with only "--password YYYY".
Anyways, is there a way to force a remount of the drives or do I have to restart my ProxMox Server?

here we go again.
cifs mount, again need to update the password after change on the server.
pvesm set thestorage --password (pass at promt)
pvesm set thestorage --username theuser --password (pass at promt)
pvesm set thestorage --user theuser --password (pass at promt)
pvesm set thestorage --password xxxx
pvesm set thestorage --username theuser --password xxxx
pvesm set thestorage --user theuser --password xxxx
all the above do not work. when delete the storage an add it again, works. please, let us change passwords via GUI, also for other storages, as PBS etc. thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!