Change Ceph Network on Existing Cluster

beav

Aug 8, 2024
Hello, I have a question for the Ceph masterminds... I have setup a better network on my Proxmox cluster to be used for Ceph. My existing Ceph cluster is using the original network and I would like to change to the new.

Is there a proper method of changing the Ceph cluster config to use the new network interfaces that would be non-disruptive?

Add the new network as additional network to the "public_network" configuration option of Ceph.
Remove one MON on a node and re-provision it with an IP from the new network. Do that for each MON.
Remove the old network from "public_network".
Restart all other Ceph components (OSDs, MDSs).

Reactions: Falk R.
Few questions as I do not want to misunderstand:
  1. Do I need to shutdown any of my VMs or anything else to prevent possible corruption?
  2. This has to be done in the CLI by editing '/etc/pve/ceph.conf', correct? I do not see a means to change anything in the UI.
  3. It is only the Ceph cluster network that I am changing. So am I to change 'public_network' or 'cluster_network' in the config?
  4. The new network is IPv6 so is this what your are suggesting it would look like in the config?
    cluster_network = 10.10.10.13/24 fc00::21/29
  5. I only have one MON on each node. Should I be creating an additional one with the new NW per node?
  6. Then after reworking the MONs and restarting the other components as you describe, do I go back and remove the old IPv4 address at that time.
Apologies if I am missing your guidance. I am new to Ceph.

Ceph cannot run double-stacked. So it's either all IPv4 or all IPv6, but not mixed.

Changing just the cluster_network is way easier as you do not need to change the MONs' IPs.

If the cluster_network is in your ceph.conf just change it there and restart all OSDs.

Ceph cannot run double-stacked. So it's either all IPv4 or all IPv6, but not mixed.

Changing just the cluster_network is way easier as you do not need to change the MONs' IPs.

If the cluster_network is in your ceph.conf just change it there and restart all OSDs.
Ok, that makes it easier - maybe. However, to be clear even cluster_network cannot be IPv6 if only public is IPv4? Therefore, I would have to make public IPv6 as well, right?

Last edited:
I would think making the new cluster_network IPv4 would be easier.

Or are all of your Ceph clients already IPv6 enabled?
The intention is to use the Thunderbolt NW I have setup between the nodes for the Ceph Cluster NW which is configured for dual stack across the Proxmox nodes. I have the Proxmox cluster using it via IPv6 for migration and wanted the same for the Ceph NW.

I have had some issues getting the IPv4 stack consistent and was not too worried about it as I was planning to configure the Ceph cluster to use IPv6 on the TB NW. I can look into getting IPv4 stable on that network I suppose if it is not possible to use IPv6.

How do I confirm whether or not the Ceph Clients are setup for IPv6?

...and thanks very much for the guidance and patience here!

I have successfully changed the cluster_network to the IPv4 stack I have configured on the Thunderbolt NW. Followed by a restart of each OSD and Proxmox host, all came back up and seems to be working well. Thanks for the assistance!

Reactions: gurubert

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!