Certificate issues after failed import

kawaklx650

Apr 19, 2019
Hi there,

it seems I did a BIG MISTAKE not reading the manual probably before uploading custom certificates in GUI, I'm very sorry about that. I really shot myself into foot doing that...

I'm running a 2 node PVE-Cluster and tried to import self-signed certificates from a pfsense-ca in WebGUI on node 1. And there somethings gone wrong. I cannot reach the GUI (node1) anymore and system.log shows:

Apr 19 16:38:02 pve1 pveproxy[1588]: worker 6347 started
Apr 19 16:38:02 pve1 pveproxy[6347]: /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.key: failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 1683.
Apr 19 16:38:02 pve1 pveproxy[6320]: worker exit
Apr 19 16:38:02 pve1 pveproxy[1588]: worker 6320 finished

The cluster seems to be still running, I can access VMs on both nodes over the WebGUI from node2. The datacenter shows everything is working fine. But I can't access the certificate configuration on node1, it runs into timeout.

Because I definitv crashed something I'm very afraid to reboot one of the nodes. Is there any chance to fix that certificate problem?

Hi,
you can try to force regeneration of the ssl certificates by running
Code:
pvecm updatecerts --force
systemctl restart pveproxy
on the node.

Reactions: KORG
Thanks for your replies.

Hi,
you can try to force regeneration of the ssl certificates by running
Code:
pvecm updatecerts --force
systemctl restart pveproxy
on the node.
That didn't fix it. And I already found your documentation bevor I entered the forum, it says:

"Do not replace or manually modify the automatically generated node certificate files in /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem and /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key or the cluster CA files in /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem and /etc/pve/priv/pve-root-ca.key."

That was the reason I was afraid of doing more mistakes and decided to ask here for help :)

Replacing pveproxy-ssl.pem with the certificate of my internal CA did the trick. It seems I managed to crack that file for some reasons. Now everything works without error messages. The https-connection is still not trusted but I will read manuals now before doing weird stuff again to the certificates.
Thanks for your help to figure out the problem :)

Reactions: KORG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!