Ceph VLAN 10GB

Digitaldaz

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2014
Hi,

I have three servers with dual E5-2650 and 128GB RAM, there is no PCIe expansion ports and just a single 10GB SPF+ port and 6 onboard SATA.

Will I be able to use these for Ceph? I see it says separate 10GB network required but would it work with a VLAN on 10GB with other VLAN for LAN/WAN?

TIA
Daz

yes it will work but the recommended setup for ceph is to have a *dedicated* storage network

Manu, thanks for the reply, unfortunately with these boards there is physically no way to do it. ie just a single 10GB port with no PCIe.

What kind of board is this? Are there gbit interfaces? If yes: maybe those are fast enogh for the VM Netzwork?

Regards,
Jonas

Then we're back to @manu s answer:
>yes it will work but the recommended setup for ceph is to have a *dedicated* storage network
It will work, but you can only try to see if it is fast enough for you.

Regards,
Jonas

Thanks for your answers, you have actually guided me to a different way of thought now anyway.

I do not want to give up on these cheap little beasts so I'm now thinking of three separate boxes with dual 10GB as dedicated ceph storage then use second 10GB for dedicated ceph traffic and access them as shared storageform those other boxes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!