Ceph Storage and possible new pool

Spyder13337

Jul 25, 2017
i have create a cluster of 7 Nodes they are all Dell R610 with 32 GB of Memory or more with at least 3 SSD per machine now my question is is it possible to have to much read and write access to the pool or do i need another pool or would i simply need to add more sever in order to elevate data across the pool

Hi,

a new pool makes only sense if you have Disks with different speeds. Like an HDD pool and an SSD pool.
If the disk is the same speed I would extend the pool.

thanks for the feedback so let me present a more global outlook on what i need to complete
i have server proxmox servers

1. there are at least 3 drive per machine some have 4
2. all of them are SSD
3. all of them have various drive size ranging from 120 to 1 TB
4. i have ceph install and working there is a pool that was created it roughly 7.645 GiB right now
5. we have several vicidial on these machines as a pool
a. Vicidial is a Dialing software (incase you are wondering)
6. i need to create a second pool with another set of drives then have those drive attached to another pool and this second pool can we make it fixed size rather than thin-provisioining

I would only recommend having multiple pools if the duplication is different or if the drive type is different, e.g. HDD & SSD. If you follow this path, you must set up different rules with different classes for drive type. Again, this is only needed if you have different drive types. If all drives are SSDs, just go a large pool. That will be most efficient with Ceph.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!