Ceph question : Will 2/2 size on a 4 host setup with 4 osd should work?

Jan 16, 2022
in case 1 OSD / Node reboot , and we still have 3 node / OSD online

will the pool lock i/o if configured at 2/2 ?

im asking cause my collegue told me that during his test during a node reboot the VMs was not responding to i/o anymore with 2/2 but correctly with 2/1 on a 4 node lab

Never run size=2 min_size=1 in production.
Always use size=3 min_size=2 for any valuable data.

When running size=2 min_size=2 and rebooting one node there are placement groups (and objects) with only one active copy in the cluster. PGs with less than min_size copies go into read-only mode. That translates into IO errors in the VM.

When running size=2 min_size=2 and rebooting one node there are placement groups (and objects) with only one active copy in the cluster. PGs with less than min_size copies go into read-only mode. That translates into IO errors in the VM.
i am aware of that. its a lab .

but this do not answer the question , is 2/2 suppose to still serve on a 4 nodes / with 1 osd each ? i think answer is yes.
even with 3/2 is it suppose to keep serving right ?

maybe it was just a remote control issue .

PG are suppose to be spread on all 4 OSD in 2/2 already no , and still serve ?

@gurubert is a 3/2 is suppose to keep serving in a 4 node / 4 osd scenarion if a node reboot ?

@gurubert i think i was wrong about my understanding of CEPH ,
i tough a pool was replicating 100% of a time on all OSD by default.
this is incorrect right ?
if i have 2/2 , the data is on 3 OSD not 4 ? ( active splitted on 2 OSD and a 2 copy on 2 other OSD for a total of 3 ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!