ceph production with 3 nodes and SAS HDD disks?

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
I understand that with 3 nodes I will need at least 2 to have the cluster to be OK. Is this correct? Would it be ok for a smal production server to run on 3 nodes with recent versions of ceph? What should I take care?

Also my disks are not SSD but HPE HDD midline 2TB 12G SAS 7.2K rpm. What kind of performance should I expect over a 25G network? Is this better to run the node just with local storage storaes and then have a ZFS raid mirror ?

Last edited:
It's true that you need a minimum of 3-nodes for Ceph but it's highly recommended to get mores nodes.

With that being said, I do run a 3-node full-mesh broadcast bonded 1GbE Ceph Quincy cluster on 14-year old servers using 8xSAS drives per node (2 of them are used for OS boot drives using ZFS RAID-1). Works surprisingly well.

Then again, it's running Debian underneath.

I use the following optimizations:

Set write cache enable (WCE) to 1 on SAS drives
Set VM cache to none
Set VM to use VirtIO-single SCSI controller and enable IO thread and discard option
Set VM CPU type to 'host'
Set VM CPU NUMA if server has 2 or more physical CPU sockets
Set VM VirtIO Multiqueue to number of cores/vCPUs
Set VM to have qemu-guest-agent software installed
Set Linux VMs IO scheduler to none/noop
Set RBD pool to use the 'krbd' option

Last edited:
Reactions: benoitc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!