Ceph: Ports oversubscribed or cut-through?

Sep 14, 2020
I am setting up a new cluster with Ceph and plan to use two Cisco Nexus 3132q-x switches in a configuration similar to switch stacking, but in the case of Cisco Nexus, it is called "vPC".

Each switch has 32 physical QSFP ports of 40Gbps that can be configured as Breakout, allowing each port to connect with a special cable into 4 SFP+ ports of 10Gbps. In other words, each 40Gbps port on the switch functions as 4 SFP+ ports of 10Gbps.

Initially, I will connect 12 hyper-converged servers with two 10Gbps SFP+ ports in each server. Each server also has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports that will be used for other purposes in the cluster.

There will also be 1 RBD client server with four 40Gbps QSFP ports and 2 10Gbps SFP+ ports, plus the 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. This server will use two of these faster ports to be a Ceph client.

How should I configure the ports through which the OSDs will communicate, given that each node today has 2 10Gbps ports?

Let's see: The SFP+ ports of each server should be connected in an LAG LACP to the vPC (the stack of switches), with each 10Gbps physical port of each server connected to a different switch in the stack to ensure path redundancy, generating greater data availability.

From what I understand so far, configuring the Cisco Nexus switch port as "cut-through" makes it work with lower latency. However, this configuration also reduces the number of available ports on the switch. Each switch, which has 32 physical ports, becomes available with only 24 of these ports.

On the other hand, working with the switch ports configured as "oversubscribed" slightly increases the latency of each port (I don't know the exact numbers), but allows the use of all 32 available ports on each switch (which is better for scalability).

Detail: I plan to use 6 physical ports of each switch for an LAG that will provide data communication between the switches to form the "vPC" stack.

Does anyone have experience with this? How can I best balance this?

Should I use the switch ports configured as "oversubscribed" with all 32 ports available with slightly higher latency or as "cut-through" with lower latency but only 24 ports available?

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!