Ceph pool size 2/2 on 3-server Cluster

Deepen Dhulla

Renowned Member
Mar 1, 2016
Mumbai
www.technoinfotech.com
Want to checkout what happen if Ceph pool size 2/2 instead of 2/3 on 3-server Proxmox-Ceph-Cluster , and if one Server goes down, would it be still able work in production like 2/3 setup...or will it halt all.

Reason is that we would be having PBS Setup to take daily backup. for Data Safety.
so today its 3 Server, when its 4 server, we would have more space, and better iops and bit low load on ceph network.

Want Proxmox team & community feedback on it. While creating a test setup did-not find any down-time effect on any VM & LXC. yet would like to know. so that if any thing is missed.

Thanks in advance., your feedback would help me if something is missed.
-Deepen.

2/2 means that there are 2 copies of each object, and you need at least 2 copies of each object for I/O to work. This means that as soon as you lose one OSD, I/O is completely blocked for some objects. This is also why I would strongly recommend against this setup, since as soon as something bad happens, I/O is (at least partly) blocked until recovery / rebalance has finished. If during this downtime something else happens (another OSD on another node goes down for instance), you might even lose some data completely.

Reactions: tom
Ya I too had same thought about : as soon as you lose one OSD, I/O is completely blocked for some objects...But to my surprise it did not, atleast in my test senerios...where heavy data Read/write/update via custom script was done. thus thought to get community feedback on same.

It will work after recovering, when you have 3 nodes. So maybe that's why this worked in your case? Depending on how much data needs to be recovered, recovery can be quite fast. Newly written data will also be immediately available.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!