CEPH: Pool (min_)size update via GUI

Belokan

Apr 27, 2016
Hello,

Is there a reason updating an already created pool size or min_size value is not possible through the GUI ?
The GUI instantaneously reflects changes if "ceph osd pool set" commands are ran from a CEPH node CLI, and nothing "critical" is reported in the log.
So why there's no "Edit" button acting as "ceph osd pool set" wrapper available together with Create & Destroy ones ?

Have a nice day,

Olivier

Hi,

not a real reason.
The one thing maybe a little problematic could be that ceph starts immediately to create the additional required replicas, if it got increased - thus resulting in a possible very high load on the ceph/pve cluster.
That with the fact that we thought that this setting won't be often changed after creating a pool, (and nobody asked for it yet) was highly probably the reasoning behind that missing functionality.

Why do you need to change this setting often?

Thanks for the detailed answer Thomas.

I don't have to change it often, but I have created my pool as 3/2 and wanted to change it to 3/1 (infra@home) without having to create a new 3/1 pooll and migrate all disk images. Because of the "lack" of Edit button I did it smoothly using CLI (tested on another pool with a single test VM). So I was just wondering why it was not available directly in the GUI :)

Cheers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!