Ceph OSD creation and SAS multipath

Whatever

Renowned Member
Nov 19, 2012
Does Proxmox (GUI and pveceph) on OSD creation take into consideration that SAS disk could have (and more likely does in correct server configuration) multipath enables/configured (with dm-multipath)?

Hm - have never actively tried it - usually Ceph redundancy is achieved by adding more nodes to a Ceph cluster, each containing fewer Disks/OSDs (that way also the network load is distributed better across the nodes).

A quick search indicates that running Ceph OSDs over multipath is supported since quite a while:
* https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11881
* https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7023110

Where would you have a multipath setup? (I would recommend against using iSCSI exports as OSDs)

Hope this helps!

Actually, in my environment (4-nodes cluster) each node has only SAS drives, dual expander backplane connected to 2 different HBAs.
From my perspective using SAS multipath improve not only availability but overall performance as well.

In conclusion (correct me if i'm wrong) the correct way adding an OSD is:
1. Create SAS multipath (with device mapper multipath)
2. Use pveceph createosd /dev/mapper/disk... -journal_dev /dev/sd[Y]
3. Do not create OSD via GUI (until supported in GUI)

Depending on the naming of the mapped device, you may need to use ceph-disk directly.
What I meant with that is, pveceph will not recognize that 'disk1' as a valid device and you may need to use ceph-disk directly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!