Ceph Octopus

Looking at the upgrade instructions, I have some questions:
- Do i have to upgrade packages on all nodes at the same time, or can I do the upgrade gradually? For example, update packages on hosts with mgr daemons first, then osds, etc.
- The instructions make no reference to reboots at any stage of the process. Is that accurate? Maybe one will be needed after the initial full-upgrade?

Thanks!
George

Looking at the upgrade instructions, I have some questions:
- Do i have to upgrade packages on all nodes at the same time, or can I do the upgrade gradually? For example, update packages on hosts with mgr daemons first, then osds, etc.
- The instructions make no reference to reboots at any stage of the process. Is that accurate? Maybe one will be needed after the initial full-upgrade?

Thanks!
George
upgrade package on all nodes (apt dist-upgrade),

then restart ceph-mon service on each node, 1 by 1 (systemctl restart ceph-mon.target) . wait for ceph health status ok between each restart
then restart ceph-osd sernice on each node 1 by 1 (systemctl restart ceph-osd.target) . wait for ceph health status ok between each restart
the restart ceph-mds service on each node 1 by 1 (systemctl restart ceph-mds.target). wait for ceph health status ok between each restart

done

Last edited:
I can confirm that I was able to upgrade a 24-node proxmox cluster (17 ceph nodes; 39 osds) from nautilus to octopus with no problems. ceph was in service during the upgrade, and no problems occurred.

Thank you!

Reactions: t.lamprecht

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!