CEPH: NVMe Driver Configuration for Consumer Drivers

Sep 14, 2020
Hey guys.

I bought an adapter card to plug my nvme driver into a PCI-e slot. This board has a super capacitor, capable of keeping the driver on for seconds in case of power failure. Enough time for it to write any data that is pending.

It works like a UPS plugged directly into the NVMe driver. So I would like to use a consumer NVMe for DB and wall recording.

We know that only server drivers are able to be fast on Ceph, because only they have super capacitors inside them. But they are very expensive. So, I look for a cheaper alternative.

But as we all know, consumer NVMes are not able to bypass the fsync type calls used by Ceph, which makes consumer NVMe very slow, especially on small files.

Is there any way to configure the Linux NVMe driver in Proxmox so that it replaces or not send fsync calls to the physical nvme driver?

Thus, he could apply a flush to the data only when the node was turned off. Since it would be guaranteed that the driver would have time to write the data.

Grateful,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!