Ceph nodes and non-ceph nodes

Zombie

Feb 12, 2018
I might have missed the mark, but I have a simple question to see if Im correct or if I need to get a few more parts.

Currently I have a three node ceph cluster that was deployed through the proxmox gui. I have 2 x 10 Gb ports, one for public and other for private ceph traffic. Then I have 2 x 1GB ports. I one of the 1Gb ports is used only for the corosync traffic. I am looking at adding a 4th node to the cluster only for compute power. It has 4 x 1 Gb ports. One of those ports will be for the corosync traffic. My questions is when I create a VM on the this node using the ceph storage in this cluster does this node also need the10Gb ports? This node will not have any OSD's, it is only for VM compute power?

Thanks for any hints or help to help get me right.

Zombie.

My questions is when I create a VM on the this node using the ceph storage in this cluster does this node also need the10Gb ports? This node will not have any OSD's, it is only for VM compute power?
no, you can use gigabit link if you want, no problem. (your vms on this host will be limited to 1gbit/s for read/write)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!