Ceph backup over wan on another Ceph Cluster

abzsol

Sep 18, 2019
Italy
www.abzsol.com
Hi, i have a working cluster with ceph in a datacenter and i'm figuring out how to have a copy for disaster recovery an another datacenter using only SSH (so rbd mirror ruled out) so in caso of outage i can start vms on backup datacenter.

I've found some script using rbd export and rbd import.

I'd like to know if someone is already doing this and what script/ techniques is using.

Thanks

Why is it ruled out? Only for the encryption?
I've ruled out because if i understand correctly both cluster need to see each other, to be honest i don't understand if it use the proxmox management network or the ceph monitor network. clusters have different subnet and i need to setup a VPN also for ceph network and this means that ceph network need to have a gateway. it seems more complicated.

I've ruled out because if i understand correctly both cluster need to see each other, to be honest i don't understand if it use the proxmox management network or the ceph monitor network.
The rbd-mirror daemon needs to be able to reach both clusters on the Ceph public network.

clusters have different subnet and i need to setup a VPN also for ceph network and this means that ceph network need to have a gateway.
The rbd-mirror daemon doesn't need to be installed on the node itself, it could also be a VM or a host outside of the cluster. But yes, it needs transport encryption, in some way.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_RBD_Mirroring

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!