Ceph and PVE host crashes when benchmarking on specific hardware

imoniker

Aug 28, 2023
Hi,

I have a weird problem:

When benchmarking Ceph with fio (4K block random write/read), Ceph crashes on HP GL380 Gen 9 Server(s).

- test1: Ceph worked fine when benchmarking on 3xDell R730XD servers.
- test2: Ceph crashed when benchmarking on 3xHP GL380 servers.
- test3: Ceph crashed when benchmarking on 2xDell R730XD + 1 HP GL380. Only the GL380 crashed.
- test4: If benchmarking was done on GL380's local disk, intead of on Ceph, It worked fine.
- test5: I changed GL380's CPU to E5-2696v3, switched another type of raid card, it still crashed when benchmarking.
- test6: I changed multiple HP GL380 servers in test3, it is always the same (Only GL380 crashed)

Sometimes PVE host crashed as well. I had to reboot PVE host.
Micro 5300 Pro 3.84TB SSD was used for Ceph. Micro 5100 Pro 480GB SSD was used for PVE host. Those SSD were tested separately without any performance problem.
I inistalled Zabbix on PVE host, and notced : GL380 SSD had a much higher disk latency (~2000ms), while Dell R730XD much lower(~several ms) when benchmarking.
I swapped the SSD on R730XD and GL380, and again, GL380 crashed when benchmarking.

It seems GL380 has some problems. I'm interested in finding out the cause, but I don't know how to troubleshooting.
There is few information on Google.
Can anybody give some advice?

Thanks in advance.

@imoniker
Smart Array P440ar Controller? Throw it away...
Or at least Update FW to 7.2 and enable IT Mode (Passthrough), if there is no other way, get a proper raid card, like an LSI 9305 and use that with IT Firmware.

@gurubert You are funny, HP doesn't support that Server anymore, all they will tell him is to buy a new HP Server xD

Reactions: gurubert

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!